June 5, 2010

TPR Opens

Hooray—sort of. It's probably not news to you by now, but Tioga Pass Road has opened for the 2010 season as of 8 a.m. Saturday. Bummer of course is that this year's opening coincides with psycho high temperatures in the mountains. The forecast I watch was calling for a high of 61 today at the 12K level in Palisades. Obviously, Dana Plateau and lower is probably cooking today. If you do get up there this weekend, get it early. And let me know how it goes. :)

1. Jake says:

I was able to get up there on Saturday to watch the swarm of tourists come in. Was scorched before I barely got into the canyon on the skin up! Nevertheless – there was still lots of the white goodness and worth the pound or two I lost in sweat! Witnessed many sluff/rock slides during the day. The cornice at the top of the Solstice Couloir is bigger than an RV. Don’t want to be lingering around on top of it, as some were that day. After an easy boot pack up, the ski down the Dana Cooly was great. Good corn on the shaded side. Then went over to the Plateau and dropped into Ellery. A little late in the day to be there (about 1pm), so took it slow but still set off a few minor wet slides. Glad to have an off-duty ski patrolman with me that I met earlier in the day as he dropped in first and set off the worst of them. Still good coverage though so the bc season should be good for a while, plus it sounds like the temps are suppose to cool off later this week.

By the way, I’m a frequent reader of your site and have to say “Thanks” Andy for all the great trip reports as they’ve given me some great beta for my own trips, and some insipration to plan more – Jake

Thanks Jake!

3. Colin in CA says:

When you said TPR I thought you meant Tioga Pass Resort. I thought, “Really? Sweet! I didn’t think they were opening for weeks, if at all, due to utility issues.” And then I realized you meant Hwy 120. :-)

4. Mark says:

Andy,

I love your TR’s, and have been to a lot of the same places you have. San G’s northwest face is one of the memorable ones…

Anyway, I’m wondering about your Split Mountain trip. Your trip says South Face, but you went up from Red Lake, on the east side of Split. The climb up from there is class 3, from the northeast. Can you show us on a map what your route was?

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,

The South Face route follows Red Lake trail to about 7900′, then cuts left across the stream to follow the drainage between Split and Cardinal Mountain, which accesses the south face. Take a look at the area in Google Earth and it should all make sense.

6. Mark says:

Thanks, I think I see it now. You didn’t hike up from Red Lake, just the Red Lake trailhead. I might go scout it out – it’s probably too late to bring skis up there now, but Split MT has been on my radar for awhile. Did your friends need ice axes/crampons to get to the south summit?

I believe I’ve heard that Split’s South Face gets really loose and dangerous when the snow melts. It’s probably best done as a snow climb. Howie had crampons and an axe, but Dave of course just booted up.