November 22, 2010

Snow

Mammoth reports 3-7 feet of snow, with nearly 2' of new snow in the past 24 hours. Locally, the last few storms have opened up Mountain High and Snow Summit, though on pretty minimal bases. I'm off for the holiday, so have a Happy Thanksgiving, and get out there and find some snow...

1. ScottP says:

Baldy looks too bare to ski, but this storm ain’t over yet! Winter is finally here!

2. JeffG says:

Can anyone suggest a good BC site to visit on Thanksgiving Day? Wanting to try one of the beginner sites from Dan’s book on SoCal locations but not sure if there is enough base at Mt. Pinos, Snow Valley or Mt. San Gorgonio areas. Any local help greatly appreciated!

3. TM says:

Hi Jeff, sorry can’t think of much either local due to snow coverage, but I was curious what book are you referring to, it sounds like one I’m unaware of. thx

4. JeffG says:

This is Dan Anderson’s book, Ski Tours in Southern California (http://www.ski.drydog.com/). He does a great job with the book and has about 30 tours for the beginner thru expert skiier looking for day trips or overnight tours in the LA area. I just picked it up recently and eager to give it a try.

5. TM says:

Oh great didn’t know about it, thanks much Jeff.

6. JeffG says:

Ended up going to Mt. Pinos yesterday. Conditions were good early in the morning with about 6″ of snow at 8000′ elevation. Sun exposed snow became sticky and melted quite a bit in the early afternoon though.

7. JeffG says:

Hi TM. After checking the SoCal Ski Tours book, I realized Dan shows some good web links for checking local conditions, each of which has pros and cons. The author also has some great details on weather patterns relevant to SoCal mountain ranges, which I missed this my first time skimming it. Enjoy!

8. Jonathan L says:

Another book for my shelf. Excellent. I’d been relying on XC Skiing in Southern Cal by Eugene Mezereny for years (also well worth having), glad for some new beta. Mammoth was insane on Sunday. 7 runs in we were still hitting untracked in the trees on 9.

Does anyone have a good discussion board for local backcountry conditions? I rely on a variety of TRs…

..but would love any other leads..

Anderson’s book is tele/XC oriented, but a great resource for SoCal skiers.

Don’t forget about the Whitney Portal Store boards — a lot of SoCal climbers and skiers post there, even though it’s primarily about the Whitney region.