March 15, 2012

I Threw Out My Baldy Passes

I Threw Out My Baldy Passes

Yes, I did it. Over here at SierraDescents, I realize it's not just my job to amuse or entertain you. No, when things get grim, and Mother Nature won't keep up her end of the bargain, I know it's my responsibility to see to it that she pays up. And so, I threw all of my Mt. Baldy ski passes in the trash. I considered just putting them deep into a drawer, out of sight, but I realized that might not be good enough.

Given how intransigent the weather has been this year, I knew it was going to take a more formidable effort to get things straightened out. Trashing all my Baldy lift tickets seemed like the best option, so on Monday I threw them out. All of them. So when you're skiing Thunder Peak next week, or even Baldy Bowl, enjoying outrageously good and unlikely coverage, I want you to know, you don't even have to thank me. It was my pleasure. Really, I'm just glad I was able to help. :)

11 thoughts on “I Threw Out My Baldy Passes

1. Brent says:

I did set fire to a pair of skis last week, mostly on purpose. I also committed to a 3 day avalanche seminar this weekend, another good way to invite the storm of the year. Looking good for Cuyamaca coverage by Tuesday btw.

“mostly” ??

3. Florian says:

A proper snow sacrifice!

4. Andy you didn’t have to do that. Just ask me when I have asked for weekend’s off at work to go on a major hike. That is how you specifically know when it will dump snow…

5. Bill says:

Andy, look’s like your sacrifice worked! I’m going to try and hit Cuyamaca tomorrow morning. Like the Grinch, I’ve got my dog harnessed ready to pull me up! – skijoring, check it outA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skijoring

Bill, thanks for the heads up! I made it to CY on Tuesday — it was fantastic!

7. Bill says:

Did you really? “Fantastic” – uh oh, that’s how urban myths begin! LOL Skiing between 5,000 & 6,500 elev’n can be dicey. I went Monday and there was a light rain messing up the snow a bit, but still enjoyed a nice 3 mile cruiser right to my car door. Did you ski the fire road? I’m getting increasingly intrigued by the possibility of a steeper route from the top, taking a line down the East face. The undergrowth that has filled in where there used to be forest before the Cedar Fire has made that task more difficult but I think there may yet be a route. I’d love to hear more about your low-altitude Ski venture. Post soon?

8. Bill says:

Nevermind, I see from vid I was waaaayyyy off! :-)

Oh no: there’s more to come, trust me…

10. Bill says:

Ah dang, you’ve got me checking the site every 20 mins. ;-)

I thought about buying new skis this season. Glad I didn’t. Hit Kirkwood a couple of weeks ago and it was a fun day, but the snow was sparse and hard. Maybe the last couple of weeks have changed that, but this season has certainly been a bust.