May 5, 2009

High Sierra Crossing

On April 20, Don Sutton and Scott Bornheimer attempted to climb and ski across the High Sierra Route's 50+ miles in a single day. They ended up taking two days to do the crossing, which is probably good news for us, because it means they got to video more of the trip in daylight. Crossing the Sierra on skis (or on foot, for that matter) has been a dream of mine for many seasons. Seeing this video just stirs the soul. I can't believe how beautiful the range looks when they get to the interior—and it just keeps going on and on. This was clearly the trip of a lifetime. It's given me a real kick in the pants to put together my own crossing. Congrats you guys!

6 thoughts on “High Sierra Crossing

1. Colin says:

That was SWEET. I’m going to repost it on TTips (with a link to your blog included).

2. Scott says:

You should probably rest a while after your Tyndall trip.

3. Mark Donohoe says:

Dude,
    I can’t believe you haven’t done the High Route. Did it quite a few years ago on the second try. It is a must do. Best if it’s a good snow year. It looked like this team had the same issue we did. Multiple hour slog up to milestone col due to lack of snow.

To the poster linking to TT, they might not like it those guys were using real bindings (Dynafits). :-)

Congrats guys cool video.

4. Colin says:

Mark,
    I’m a recent convert to The Dark Side due to a serious injury a couple months back. I do my best to keep the AT hate in line: http://telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=792910#792910

:-)

Cheers,
    Colin

I didn’t even know there was such a thing as “AT hate.” I thought we all just teased the telemarkers, and everybody got along fine. :)

Definitely have to do this. In Eastside Magazine there was an article on a trip that looks similar, but is a loop from South Lake to North Lake via the Ionian Basin. Both trips look awesome.