May 7, 2012

Leavitt Peak Groove

I had so much fun a week ago Skiing Conness' Y-Couloir I decided Y not do another? And so Trevor Benedict and I headed all the way north to Sonora Pass to ski Leavitt Peak's Y-Couloir. I have to say, the Sonora Pass area completely exceeded my expectations. The skiable terrain in the area is diverse, abundant, and outstanding—and ridiculously easy to access now that Highway 108 is open.

As for the skiing, those of you who ski with me know I'm kind of obsessed with steep technique. If you want a mini-clinic on how it's done, take a look at Trevor's handiwork on the 50° headwall of the Y-Couloir. This is as good as classic steep skiing gets: flawless upper body position, tight, surgical edgework, perfect balance and form. Am I a little bit jealous? Hell yes! But it's inspiration for me to keep working on my own technique. So Trevor beware—we'll be doing more of this soon...

1. Matt says:

Awesome! Sounds a little crunchy at the top :)

2. Nick says:

Nice turns! Do you have any extra footy from that day. I was the guy who dropped before you. Video looks great. Def sums up a great day of skiing.

Hey Nick,

I caught a few seconds of a teleskier wearing a GoPro. Was that you?

4. Robert K says:

The music and white boots make you *so* much cooler!

5. Chad says:

Miss the Y. Maybe next year. Glad I’m seeing a bunch of you folks hit it. Sounds like a lot of folks out there this past weekend. Funny, both times I made it out it was just our group. Anyone skiing Deadman’s?

6. Arturo MarĂ­n says:

This is my dream I wish I could go along with you guys

7. Brad Brown says:

Check this old vid out:
    At 6;55 you see a young Doug Coombs makin’ in look easy. Worked on this a bit a Kirkwood today, just add bumps. I’m a little rusty on the steeps but when the angle says turn or burn I seem to manage to get ‘em around without falling. Pole plant straight down hill, disengage upper/lower body (aka angulation), lean out into new turn, pop enough to clear the snow, land on new edge in athletic position and repeat. Yeah looked just like your brother (hah, dude rips). And holy crap is there no limit on these Soul 7’s? Crud, bumps, left over heavy pow, ice, even whoop dee doo traverses. Overnight success after 43 years