March 5, 2013

A Telluride Storm

I love the sight of snow falling. On the last night of our Telluride trip this year, it unexpectedly started snowing heavily—big, fat, wonderful flakes dropping out of the sky. I figured it was just a squall since the forecast called for clearing. But it kept snowing. So after an hour or so I grabbed my RX100 and went for a walk outside, thinking I'd try to capture some shots around town before the storm quit.

Only the storm didn't quit. It dumped all night, and then like fog evaporating the storm clouds vanished as the sun came up. I stuck my camera in my pocket and raced to the gondola to get in line. The camera probably didn't come out as much as it should have that day, but in the shots I did get it seems almost as if the snow itself was alive.

It's funny: rainy days get dreary and depressing for me very quickly, but turn rain to snow and everything changes. When I watch these shots, even here in my sea-level apartment, I can feel the snow beneath my feet, feel it billowing up around me in great glittering clouds. My heart quickens; my hands grasp imaginary ski poles. I think I'm ready for another run. How about you?

8 thoughts on “A Telluride Storm

1. brad brown says:

Hell yes. Or waking up the 6th time to see if the weather reporter wasn’t on crack, the 5am avy blast (no alarm required), the sound of the truck flawless starting (whew!), mental gear check #33, ….then the drive back down steering and pressuring the legs on each corner with the tip of the steering wheel a pole plant. If this be insanity I shun the cure.

2. charles says:

Wow. Really beautiful.

3. Andrew says:

Andy, what camera did you shoot this video on? Doesn’t look like a GoPro…

Andrew this was shot with my Sony RX100.

5. Corrado says:

yea Andy, I share your feelings: rain is bad but snow is fantastic! Look here > http://vivivda.wordpress.com/2013/02/26/powder-skiing-in-cervinia/

6. Kiko says:

I love that place so much. Headed out there on Wednesday next week!

7. Corrado says:

#Kiko, “there” is Telluride or Cervinia? If you come to Cervinia (or Zermatt) send a message > cordef@gmail.com: we live there and ski almost every day

8. Geo says:

Does it ever snow enough there to cover the bumps?